Sunday, November 1, 2009

Taiwan Fun Fact #5 - Vegetarianism in Taiwan

Ah, two of my favorite topics: vegetarianism and Taiwan. I came across this interesting article, and just had to share:
http://www.taiwantoday.tw/ct.asp?xItem=47665&CtNode=430

Did you know there are approximately 1.7 million vegetarians in Taiwan?  That is a fairly notable amount, considering the island only has about 23 million people.  This article actually mentions one of the restaurants (Jen Dow Vegetarian Buffet) that I posted about in my last Taiwan Fun Fact post.  I cannot WAIT to hit that buffet when we are traveling to get our future daughter!! 

In case anyone is wondering, Chris and I do intend on raising both of our children as vegetarians.  We are not vegans (i.e. we do eat eggs, dairy products, honey, etc), but we do avoid all meats (and, yes, that includes poultry and fish products).  We are hoping that there may be a birthmother out there who is vegetarian and would like to see her baby raised vegetarian, as well, and our family would be chosen because of that.  I would really love to know that we would be raising our daughter the way her birthmother hoped she would be raised.

1 comment:

Jillianne said...

That is kind of an interesting fact!

I always think its neat all the vegetarians in your family! I get a big kick out of them all! I think that is why I get along with you all so well, because while I do eat meat, we don't eat pork, and don't bring shellfish into the house. We also take great care in what kind of food we keep in our home. Makes it frustrating to some of our guests as we dont keep a lot of junky snacks readily available.