Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Adoption Movie Review #1 - Pinocchio

I've decided to start my series of "Adoption Movie Reviews."  These won't necessarily be movies specifically about adoption, but rather movies which happen to have adoption elements in them.  Rather than just give an overview of the plot, I'll discuss what the adoption-related messages are, and if I feel they are positive or negative adoption stories.  For my first review, I'm going to look at Disney's Pinocchio. 

We were babysitting my niece Ellie and nephew Theo last night, and decided to watch our DVD of Pinocchio.  I hadn't realized it, but it has been many many years since I've watched it!  I was struck by Geppetto's relationship with Pinocchio--it really is quite touching.  Geppetto wishes on the wishing star for his wooden puppet to become a real boy, and the blue fairy brings Pinocchio to life.  Although Geppetto is startled at first, he adjusts very quickly and before long he has Pinocchio snuggled next to him in bed with a matching night cap.  The next morning he is already calling him 'son', and Pinocchio is calling Geppetto 'father.'  I found myself thinking "wow, they are bonding really well!  What a great example of an older child adoption!"  While Geppetto doesn't exactly ADOPT Pinocchio, the movie really does emphasize the fact that Pinocchio isn't Geppetto's biological child--yet he loves him as if he were.  It does a great job of demonstrating that families are created in many different ways, and that a non-traditional family can be a wonderful, loving thing.  The only negative aspect I'd point out is the fact that the blue fairy tells Pinocchio he has to prove himself before he can become a 'real boy.'  Considering older children who have been adopted sometimes have issues feeling like they have to be 'good enough' for their new families and are fearful of not being wanted, such a concept might be distressing to some children.  Overall, though, I felt it has quite a positive "adoption" story.

No comments: